Movie Quote Christmas Eve – Scrooged
This has never been one of my favorites, but I have it on dvd, so it must be included in the Christmas rotation. Because I’m like that, you know. Anyway, I was sort of watching this year, and sort of doing something else, when I heard Bill Murray (as the Scroogiest of Scrooges) say something interesting. I guess he says it every time, but I’ve never had a blog to quote movies on before now, so this time it caught my attention.
Frank Cross: It’s Christmas Eve, it’s…it’s the one night out of the year when we all act a little nicer, we, we…we smile a little easier. We…we, we…we cheer a little more. For a couple of hours out of the whole year, we are the people that we always hoped we would be.
Being the person you always hoped to be is a pretty appealing idea, and it does seem a kind of miracle when it happens. But I do hope that I’m that person more than once a year. I can’t be certain that I am…but I’m a work in progress, so there’s hope for me, yet.
That’s a whole lot of hope – three hopes in three sentences. But if Christmas isn’t the time for it, then I don’t know when is. So I guess you can stand a little more:
- I hope you get your very merry Christmas this year
- I hope you get to spend quality time with your family
- I hope you get everything you want from this holiday season
- I hope you get a few things you didn’t even know you wanted
- I hope you get to smile a little easier and cheer a little more
- I hope you get to be the person you always hoped you would be
And I hope I get those things, too. (Well, there’s still room for a little greed, don’t you think?)